Monday, July 29, 2013

piCture pOlish Blog Fest 2013 - Celebrating the Year of the Blogger!

Hi everyone!

I'm really excited to to be a part of piCture pOlish Blog Fest 2013! The brief was to create some nail art using 3 shades supplied to us by the lovelies at piCture pOlish. It's doubly exciting because there are 3 awards available, with the prizes being the opportunity to make a collaboration shade with piCture pOlish. The 3 prizes are chosen by 1) the fans and friends of piCture pOlish, 2) the participants of blogfest and 3) the girls of piCture pOlish (Jules and Megs). You can vote on your favourite nail art creation by hopping over to piCture pOlish on Pinterest and voting. Update: You can go to the piCture pOlish website to vote. But hurry, because it only runs till the end of tonight (NZ time).

The 3 shades I got were 'Atomic' (a collaboration shade with the super talented Sarah from Samarium's swatches), 'Denim' and 'Electric Blue'. This is the look I came up with...


Picture Polish, Blog fest 2013, nail art, atomic, electric blue, denim
As soon as I saw 'Atomic', 'Denim' and 'Electric Blue' together, they absolutely screamed gradient. They work so beautifully together.

Right, let's get on with how I went about getting this look...


 
First, I painted my nails with strengthener and base coat, followed by one coat of 'Atomic'. Once dry, I taped off my cuticles in order to make clean up a little easier later on.


 
Next, I painted a generous line of 'Denim''Atomic' and 'Electric Blue' on some wax paper. Using a tooth pick I swirled the adjacent colours together just a little bit, mixing 'Denim' out slightly to each side. I dipped the sponge into the polish, tapped it lightly on the wax paper, then sponged on to my nail moving up and down my nail with very small motions to ensure a smooth gradient.
I have to thank Sammy from The Nailasaurus for this particular technique! You can check out her original tutorial here. 


 
I repeated the sponging steps 3 times, ensuring the previous coat was completely dry each time. After that, I cut the tape off and cleaned up around my cuticles using an angled brush and pure acetone.


This is the cleaned up gradient and at this point it doesn't look very smooth. I slapped on a coat of quick-dry top coat and then once dry I used a coat of piCture pOlish 'G'day Matte' (matte top coat) on all but my ring finger. On my ring finger, I used a second coat of my regular top coat.


 
I waited until my nails were entirely dry and set before I went near the taping part. In fact, I did the taping part the next day. Using Magic Tape, I masked off the lines to taper near the cuticle end. You could use striping tape here, but as I show you my dominant hand (I have to do all this with my left hand), I used full tape so I wouldn't go over the edges.


Wait for the previous stripe to dry and set COMPLETELY before taping off the next one. I can't stress this enough, because they will pull off with the tape otherwise and you don't want to have to do the whole gradient over again. Paint the stripes (I used 2 thin coats for 'Denim' and 'Atomic') and carefully pull the tape off - preferably while the stripe polish is still wet. I repeated this whole process, with lots of drying time in between, to get 3 stripes on each nail.




 
To finish up, I added some studs to my feature nail, just sticking them on by dipping a tooth pick into top coat, dabbing it on my nail and then using the tacky toothpick to pick up and place each stud. I spaced them in a way that mirrored the gradient effect on my nails.


Picture Polish, Blog fest 2013, nail art, atomic, electric blue, denim
Phew, so this is it. I quite liked the way the gradient looked once matte, with the shiny stripes on top. What do you think?


You can check out everyone else's manis by checking out #ppblogfest2013 on twitter and instagram. Also make sure you are following piCture pOlish. They can be found in lots of different places - Facebook     Twitter     Pinterest     Instagram    You Tube    Google +.

piCture pOlish polishes can be purchased directly from Australia (check out their Everyday Deals page too), or visit their network page so you can find a distributor closer to where you live.


These products were provided for blog fest 2013.
For more information, see my disclosure policy.

41 comments :

  1. really stunning. thanks for the step-by-step. atomic is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much! Glad you like it :) And yes Atomic is stunning (they all are tbh).

      Delete
  2. aaaah! one of my fave gradients by far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! It's so exciting seeing us kiwi girls looks! Loving all of them!

      Delete
  3. wow, adore this! Amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful! I love those stripes over the gradient - just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such perfect colours! Love the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I wonder how they picked the colour combo they sent out. That would have been quite a task for so many different people!

      Delete
  6. I love what you came up with!! Such a gorgeous manicure! I especially love the matte gradient, it's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's awesome, i love this kind of "laser" mani, good job !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful !! I love this nail art !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the gradient so much! I can't wait to see more of these posts popping up and be in awe of all the creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! It's so exciting seeing what everyone came up with! Can't wait to see them all!

      Delete
  10. Love gradient nails and this is awesome! I'm loving all the beautiful nail art that's popping up! :)

    xx


    http://ms-jelena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mani is stunning. You got a fantastic colour combo and you worked it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty, love the shades together

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this!! and goood luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome Anneke! So pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, I really really love this...so unique and creative! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous, I love this, so different! You also have the most amazingly long nail beds, I'm jealous *o*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely colours - this works so well! Denim is my favourite Picture Polish :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The ring finger is my favourite, what a perfect gradient!!! *______*

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I love the shiny stripes with the matte underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love this! So creative, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! The stripes over the gradients are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks fab! Love the design and the tutorial..awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning!!!! You got great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The gradient is absolutely stunning :)
    I love the stripes too :)
    all in all.. a wonderful manicure :)
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. These make SUCH a pretty gradient. You must have had so much patience to do all that taping haha - I take my hat off to you! Also, I got Atomic too and I can't get over how cool it is, especially close up.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing all your comments and I read them all! Please don't leave links in the comments section, but if you want me to see your blog, email me the link and say hi :)